5pm: Orienteering 101 Clinic
- Presented by members of the Greater Vancouver Orienteering Club (GVOC) - winner of the 2011 "Best Orienteering Club in Canada".
- Three short (10 minute) exercises of increasing difficulty that will quickly take you from absolute novice to seasoned beginner – with enough knowledge and skills to take part in any orienteering event in Canada!
7pm: Orienteering Race
- An orienteering "scatter" course in which everyone has 45 minutes to visit as many check points in Lost Lake park as they can.
- The winner is the person that visits the most check points – ties go to whoever is fastest.
IS THIS FOR ME?
The clinic is designed for all ages from 15 and up, and for all fitness levels. A great way to learn and try the sport of orienteering. You can participate solo or in teams of two.
WHAT TO WEAR
Most of the running will be on the Lost Lake trails, though you may decide to take some short cuts through the forest. Wear sturdy trail running shoes and clothes you don't mind if they get a little muddy or snagged on a passing bush or branch.
COST $10 – includes:
- Orienteering 101 Clinic
- Race entry and timing chip rental
- Race map to keep
- Handout, including legend of orienteering map symbols & control descriptions
- 2012 membership in GVOC
- Free entry in GVOC's Wednesday Evening Trainings (WET), held every week, year round in Vancouver
- Discount at the BC Orienteering Festival events taking place in Whistler on the Sept 22/23 weekend
HOW TO REGISTER
You can register online here - for the clinic and the race. You can also just show up, but then you might have to share a race map
BC ORIENTEERING FESTIVAL – Sept 22/23
One of the goals of this clinic is to teach you enough basic skills so that you can succesfully take part in the three upcoming orienteering races during the BC Orienteering Festival in Whistler September 22/23. More details can be found in the events calendar